Meghan and Harry currently live in Santa Barbara, California, having stepped down as senior royals in 2020. Over the past year they have given a number of incendiary interviews, claiming they faced racially charged comments and a lack of mental health support within the Royal Family.
Time Magazine published a short piece by Jose Andres, founder of the World Central Kitchen, explaining why the Duke and Duchess made the list.
He wrote: “In a world where everyone has an opinion about people they don’t know, the duke and duchess have compassion for the people they don’t know.
“They don’t just opine. They run toward the struggle.”
An accompanying photograph shows Meghan, dressed in an all-white outfit, in front of Harry who is wearing a dark brown shirt.
- Prince William has 'moments of self-doubt' about future royal role as King
- Meghan left feeling 'hurt' by Kate who 'never gave her benefit of the doubt', says source
- Meghan Markle pays tribute to Princess Diana in new speech about prioritising women
- Meghan talks in 'the style of the Queen' in first appearance since Oprah, says expert
- Diana and Prince Charles' Greek honeymoon cruise was devastated by secret 'blow'
- 'Stunning': Kate Middleton in bright blue £60 blazer for International Day of the Midwife
- Prince William hit with backlash from Harry and Meghan Markle supporters after boycott
- Princess Beatrice has ‘unique’ engagement ring from Edoardo with sweet meaning
Harry and Meghan were listed on the Time 100 list for 2021
- Kate Middleton parenting: Inside the Duchess of Cambridge's lavish royal nursery
- The Kate effect: Duchess regularly wears ‘affordable’ jewellery to appear more ‘relatable’
- ‘Frostiness that was horrible to watch’: Harry and William 'brutal' - ignoring one another
- Pregnant Meghan Markle celebrates Mother’s Day with donation to homeless women's group
Harry and Meghan were praised for their activism
The Duke has his right hand on the Duchesses’ upper-arm, whilst both look towards the camera.
In a second image the couple walk through an area of woodland, holding hands.
Harry is wearing a smart suit-style jacket and white shirt, whilst Meghan has opted for a dark green turtleneck and long coat.
However, this attracted ridicule from Darren Grimes, a prominent young pro-Brexit campaigner.
The Sussexes stepped down as senior royals in 2020
He tweeted: “It’s rather fitting that the Prince looks like he’s acting as the shadow of Meghan in this photoshoot declaring their ‘influence’.”
Other social media users also posted comments mocking the couple.
Mark Palmer wrote: “I thought they wanted the quiet life?”
Leslie Krupp said: “This is the sound of the barrel being scraped.”
Harry and Meghan stepped down as senior royals in 2020
Meghan’s children’s book was published earlier this year
In his article Mr Andres argued it would be “much safer” for the Sussex to “enjoy their good fortune and stay silent”.
However: “That’s not what Harry and Meghan do, or who they are.
“They turn compassion into boots on the ground through their Archewell Foundation.
“They give voice to the voiceless through media production.
“Hand in hand wIth nonprofit partners, they take risks to help communities in need—offering mental-health support to Black women and girls in the U.S., and feeding those affected by natural disasters in India and the Caribbean.”
Others included in Time’s 100 list include Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny, singer Billie Eilish and gymnast Simone Biles.
In March CBS released an explosive interview of Harry and Meghan, by Oprah Winfrey.
Harry and William unveiled a statue of Princess Diana in July
The Duchess claimed there had been “concerns and conversations” about Archie’s skin tone, ahead of his birth in 2019.
In response Buckingham Palace released a statement, on behalf of the Queen, expressing regret for the Sussexes’ difficulties.
However it added “some recollections may vary” about the events they described.
Source EXPRESS CO UK