The host welcomed Harry with the words: “We love him, yes, we miss him.
“Please welcome, live from California, Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex.”
Harry delivered an address hitting out at coronavirus disinformation, and urging rich countries to share vaccines with the developing world.
Sussex fans took to social media to praise Harry’s speech, and mock Piers Morgan for being forced to listen.
- Prince William has 'moments of self-doubt' about future royal role as King
- Meghan left feeling 'hurt' by Kate who 'never gave her benefit of the doubt', says source
- Meghan Markle pays tribute to Princess Diana in new speech about prioritising women
- Meghan talks in 'the style of the Queen' in first appearance since Oprah, says expert
- Diana and Prince Charles' Greek honeymoon cruise was devastated by secret 'blow'
- 'Stunning': Kate Middleton in bright blue £60 blazer for International Day of the Midwife
- Prince William hit with backlash from Harry and Meghan Markle supporters after boycott
- Princess Beatrice has ‘unique’ engagement ring from Edoardo with sweet meaning
“The introduction to Harry’s speech was so cute!”
- Kate Middleton parenting: Inside the Duchess of Cambridge's lavish royal nursery
- The Kate effect: Duchess regularly wears ‘affordable’ jewellery to appear more ‘relatable’
- ‘Frostiness that was horrible to watch’: Harry and William 'brutal' - ignoring one another
- Pregnant Meghan Markle celebrates Mother’s Day with donation to homeless women's group
Piers Morgan at the GQ Man of the Year Awards
One Twitter fan account, which had a photo of Meghan as its profile picture, tweeted: “The introduction to Harry’s speech was so cute!
“He got a standing ovation and to make it sweeter Piers Morgan was in the crowd.”
She ended the tweet with an emoji denoting “face with tears of joy”.
Another Twitter user wrote: “Piers being there is just icing on the cake.”
Prince Harry hit out at coronavirus misinformation
Referring to Mr Morgan a fourth posted: “Oh yeah his face must have gone all red.
“No leaking nothing and he had to sit and listen to the guy who got the woman of his dreams. I am very happy as my people would say.”
Mr Morgan acknowledged the unusual situation on social media, sharing an article about him listening to Harry’s speech live with the caption “#awks”.
Harry and Meghan stepped down as senior royals in 2020
The Sussexes said they would become “financially independent”
The former Good Morning Britain presenter also came under fire from Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, a lawyer and political activist, over his attitude towards Prince Philip.
She shared an article Mr Morgan wrote in 2019, after Philip was involved in a car crash, and compared it to one of his recent tweets.
The 2019 article was titled: “Piers Morgan: It’s time the Queen gave her rude, stubborn, insensitive, arrogant and dangerous Duke of Hazard his driving marching orders.”
Dr Mos-Shogbamimu tweeted: “Hypocrisy of Piers Morgan knows no bounds. He branded 97yr Prince Phillip ‘rudest human being ever met’.
“Demanded Queen gives him marching orders in 2019. But y’all about his Freedom of Speech yes?”
On Wednesday ITV was cleared by media regulator Ofcom, over comments Mr Morgan made about the Sussexes.
Following their incendiary interview with Oprah Winfrey in March, the Good Morning Britain presenter said he “didn’t believe a word” Meghan said.
Harry and William unveiled a statue of their mother in July
Ofcom ruled restricting his opinions would be a “chilling restriction” on free speech.
Mr Morgan said he was “delighted” with the decision.
He added the regulator had “emphatically endorsed my right to not believe what the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were saying”.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK