Princess Beatrice, 32, is pregnant with her first child, the Royal Family confirmed on Wednesday. The exciting news was shared by the Royal Household’s official Twitter account on the same day Meghan Markle, 39, and Prince Harry, 36, are celebrating their third wedding anniversary.
The decision to announce the news on May 19, could be interpreted as a subtle dig at the Sussexes who shared news of their first pregnancy on Princess Eugenie’s wedding day in October, 2018.
- Prince William has 'moments of self-doubt' about future royal role as King
- Meghan left feeling 'hurt' by Kate who 'never gave her benefit of the doubt', says source
- Meghan Markle pays tribute to Princess Diana in new speech about prioritising women
- Meghan talks in 'the style of the Queen' in first appearance since Oprah, says expert
- Diana and Prince Charles' Greek honeymoon cruise was devastated by secret 'blow'
- 'Stunning': Kate Middleton in bright blue £60 blazer for International Day of the Midwife
- Prince William hit with backlash from Harry and Meghan Markle supporters after boycott
- Princess Beatrice has ‘unique’ engagement ring from Edoardo with sweet meaning
At the time many felt the Sussexes risked overshadowing Eugenie’s big day with their own announcement.
Fans were quick to highlight the timing of Bea’s announcement on social media, with some claiming it was no coincidence.
One wrote: “I don’t think it’s accidentally that Princess Beatrice announced her pregnancy on Prince Harry & Meghan’s third anniversary”, followed by a side eyes emoji.
Another put: “I have to wonder why did the palace decide to announce Beatrice’s baby news today. On the Prince and Princess Henry of wales anniversary, how petty. Congrats though Beatrice.”
- Kate Middleton parenting: Inside the Duchess of Cambridge's lavish royal nursery
- The Kate effect: Duchess regularly wears ‘affordable’ jewellery to appear more ‘relatable’
- ‘Frostiness that was horrible to watch’: Harry and William 'brutal' - ignoring one another
- Pregnant Meghan Markle celebrates Mother’s Day with donation to homeless women's group
One royal watcher played down the coincidence, claiming that Harry and Meghan’s third wedding anniversary was not a huge milestone.
They put: “People crying about Princess Beatrice and Edo announcing their baby news today (on Harry and Meghan’s wedding anniversary).
“Your point? Harry and Meghan literally announced their pregnancy to the family at Beatrice’s sisters wedding. ON THE WEDDING DAY. Congrats Bea.”
Daily Mail royal editor Richard Eden also flagged the coincidence in a tweet on Wednesday.
Mr Eden wrote: “Interesting coincidence that the #royal baby news was announced on Harry and #Meghan’s wedding anniversary.
“Beatrice’s sister, Princess Eugenie, was said to have been surprised that Meghan chose to announce that she was pregnant to guests at her wedding in 2018.”
The Royal Family’s tweet with the news read: “Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi are very pleased to announce that they are expecting a baby in autumn of this year.
“The Queen has been informed and both families are delighted with the news.
“The couple on their wedding day in July 2020.”
2021 has so far been a bumper year for royal babies and Beatrice’s younger sister Eugenie welcomed a son August Philip Hawke in February.
The Queen’s eldest grandaughter Zara Tindall also gave birth to a son – Lucas Philip in March and the Sussexes announced they were expecting a second child in February.
Meghan and Harry have confirmed they are expecting a baby girl who is due to be born this summer.
Beatrice and Edo’s first child will be 10th in line to the throne and is due to be the Queen’s 12th great-grandchild.
As Beatrice is not a working member of the monarchy her child is highly unlikely to take a royal title.
What will Beatrice’s baby be called?
Bookmakers have picked out a number of favourite baby names for Beatrice’s and Edo’s first child.
Alex Apati of Ladbrokes said: “The latest odds suggest Princess Beatrice and husband Edoardo will opt for a beautiful and traditional name with a nod to the latter’s Italian roots, and as things stand it’s Florence and Theodore leading the way in the betting.”
According to Ladbrokes, these are the hot favourite names for Bea’s first baby:
Florence – 4/1
Theodore – 9/2
Arabella – 5/1
Cecilia – 6/1
Julius – 6/1
Francesco – 6/1
Emmeline – 13/2
Madeleine – 13/2
Clementine – 7/1
Clementine – 8/1
Allegra – 10/1
Hugo – 10/1
Ottilie – 10/1
Benedict – 10/1
Alexander – 12/1
Giovanna – 12/1
Tarquin – 12/1
Rupert – 12/1
Marina – 12/1
Rose – 12/1
Gabriella – 12/1
Nicola – 12/1
Alfonso – 14/1
Edoardo – 14/1
Isabella – 14/1
Hugo – 14/1
Teddy – 14/1
Abraham – 16/1
Alberto – 16/1
Humphrey – 16/1
Phoebe – 16/1
Ophelia – 20/1
Summer – 20/1
Autumn – 25/1
Horatio – 25/1
Quentin – 25/1
Xavier – 25/1
Winter – 33/1
Barnaby – 33/1
Nathaniel – 33/1
Axel – 33/1
Rafferty – 33/1
Source: EXPRESS CO UK