- Prince William has 'moments of self-doubt' about future royal role as King
- Meghan left feeling 'hurt' by Kate who 'never gave her benefit of the doubt', says source
- Meghan Markle pays tribute to Princess Diana in new speech about prioritising women
- Meghan talks in 'the style of the Queen' in first appearance since Oprah, says expert
- Diana and Prince Charles' Greek honeymoon cruise was devastated by secret 'blow'
- 'Stunning': Kate Middleton in bright blue £60 blazer for International Day of the Midwife
- Prince William hit with backlash from Harry and Meghan Markle supporters after boycott
- Princess Beatrice has ‘unique’ engagement ring from Edoardo with sweet meaning
For a long time, the Queen had a special bond with her daughter-in-law, the Wessex Countess. A touching post was shared on the official Instagram page of the monarch in celebration of Sophie’s 55th birthday on Monday, featuring a stunning snapshot of Sophie. On an official engagement, the image shows the smiling Countess carrying a flower made from tartan fabric. “Happy Birthday to HRH The Wessex Countess! # HappyBirthdayHRH,” read the message following it.
- Kate Middleton parenting: Inside the Duchess of Cambridge's lavish royal nursery
- The Kate effect: Duchess regularly wears ‘affordable’ jewellery to appear more ‘relatable’
- ‘Frostiness that was horrible to watch’: Harry and William 'brutal' - ignoring one another
- Pregnant Meghan Markle celebrates Mother’s Day with donation to homeless women's group
Sophie will be celebrating her birthday Monday evening at Buckingham Palace, where she will join her husband Prince Edward, Princess Anne, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for a royal reception to mark the UK-Africa Investment Summit, hosted by William and Kate on behalf of the Queen. At the reception, the pair will officially welcome the Heads of State and Government and their spouses, followed by a group photograph of them alongside Sophie, Edward, and Princess Anne with the Duke and Duchess. Our royal highnesses will then attend a reception in Buckingham Palace’s staterooms, where William will make a short speech.
The style file of The Countess of Wessex
Sophie’s strong bond with the Queen was demonstrated last year in October when she made a speech at a glittering reception at Buckingham Palace to mark the Diamond Jubilee Trust’s success. The Countess, who has been working internationally to boost the eye health since 2000, spoke to 200 guests and addressed the Queen, saying: “I feel that I have been your eyes, that I have traveled to Malawi, Bangladesh, and India to see the Trust’s work first hand, to see the groundbreaking projects being done in the name of Your Majesty, and to ensure that the expected legacy is real and enduring for a long time. I am very pleased to say that the reputation of Your Majesty has been more than maintained.”
Sophie has a close relationship with her mother-in-law, the Queen
Sophie, who looked elegant in white, then revealed her affectionate nickname for the Queen as she continued: “Mom when I came back from my journeys, I was so proud to share with you the work I witnessed under the umbrella of the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust and the care of so many people who work so hard to save and cure sight.”